***Due to Covid19 gathering restrictions, we have decided to postpone the originally scheduled songwriting competition event until we can hold this live. Please see the details below to continue to submit songs to our competition.
INSTEAD - We are hosting an event we had planned on World Water Day, back in March, when the restrictions first began.
Join us online to present Hugh Whiteley with our Lifetime Achievement Award and the screening of a mini documentary film to honour the life work of Hugh. Watch the trailer here.
7pm Saturday June 27
Back-up Plan: roughly 1 hr
RSVP (way at the bottom of this thread) to get the link to join the event. If you can not make the live event, you will be sent a recording afterwards.
Hugh has spoken often of the need to go beyond a modern, human-centric worldview embedded in maligned policies and poor political decisions that mistreat life-giving waters. He understands that our best thriving, and that of all ecology, will happen when we work within the intricacies and balance of natural cycles. And although meticulous and relentless in his advocacy, Hugh has always managed to do this work with a twinkle in his eye and lots of great stories.
WWW is creating the Hugh Whiteley Lifetime Achievement Award. Our goal in creating this award are twofold: to honour Hugh’s immense contributions, and, to inspire a new generation of water protectors. This will be an annual award given to one person each year who demonstrates an extraordinary passion and dedication to water protection. The first recipient will be Hugh himself.
**** We have extended the deadline to submit songs to our Tributary to the Rivers song competition. See details below.
Official Rules - Tributary to the Rivers Songwriting Competition
1. Must be an original Song related to the theme “About the Speed, the Eramosa or the Grand River”
2. Limit song to less than 4.5 minutes
3. Submit by Emailing email@example.com the following (by midnight May 29, 2020) - this date has been extended until such time as we can host a live finalist event
a) MP3 or YouTube video link of your song
b) PDF of lyrics
c) Entry form
4. Applicants will be advised by June 12, 2020 if they have been selected to perform at the June 27th event. We don't yet know when we can host this event
5. Applicant must be available to sing their song at the 2Rivers Festival Celebration - Featuring Tributary to the Rivers finalists on Saturday June 27, 5-11pm. The Boathouse, Guelph. We don't yet know when we can host this event
6. Selected candidates will perform at the 2Rivers Festival Celebration - Featuring Tributary to the Rivers finalists
7. Criteria for judging songs
a) Relation to the theme
b) Songwriting / lyrics
8. Prizes will be awarded to the winners on the day of the competition. Winners will be decided by the panel of judges based on the listed criteria
One First Prize - A full day of recording time at Copper Sound Studio to record the song. This will include mixing and mastering.
Two Second Prizes
1) A weekend pass for 2 to Hillside Music Festival
2) A weekend pass for 2 to Riverfest
Three Third Prizes - Gift packages from Lush.
9. Entry constitutes permission to uses performers name, likeness and voice for publicity and advertising without additional compensation
10. 2Rivers Festival Reserves the right to upload all performances online.
11. The performer must have rights to the song to be considered eligible.
Google map and directions